School is back in session!📝🍎
I wanted to share something with you and your Beautiful Brown Girl that I think you would find encouraging during these new and unfamiliar times. Many of us are schooling from home – I am a Dean in the School District of Philadelphia, and as of right now we are teaching remotely until mid November.
As we prepare our learning and/or work stations at home, it is important that these spaces are welcoming, supportive and resourceful. I know everyone’s space may vary in size and resources but here are a few helpful tips to make you Beautiful Brown Girl’s space conducive to learning.
Tips for Creating an Effective Remote Learning Space…
Designate a study space that is comfortable and free from distractions and equipped with good lighting.
It is important to find a place that you can dedicate specifically to your Beautiful Brown Girl’s school activities. This should be the area for reviewing lessons, attending virtual classes, competing assignments, studying etc. This space can be a desk in their bedroom, a designated space in the living room, dining room, home office or even the kitchen.
It is important that this space is only used for learning – not for leisure. By designating this space specifically for “school” you help to establish a “school/home life” balance. This will ensure that this area is associated with learning and will help limit distractions. It will also help to keep them in the mode for learning when in this space. By keeping this space specifically for schoolwork, it provides them the opportunity to step away from the learning environment away and take a break and recharge as necessary.
Keep this area supplied with learning tools (school supplies, learning materials). If possible accent the walls with a dry erase board and/or a cork board – this is helpful for posting the daily schedule, assignments, etc. Also, you can post affirmations and powerful reminders to encourage your Beautiful Brown Girl to push past difficult times through out the day. I’ve created four powerful printable reminders on posters (8×10) that could go in your Beautiful Brown Girl’s learning space or in her bedroom. These bright and colorful signs are great eye catching reminders that inspire and encourage positive thoughts.
Some additional tips include
- limiting distractions by setting up in a low traffic area in the home free from noise (telephone, television, other children).
- provide a desk/table organizer to help keep the area free from clutter (ie paper tray, pencil cup, book ends)
- Try to keep the day as close to a typical school day. For example, getting up and dressed and having breakfast before starting classes. Have a schedule for working/learning and lunch, set aside time for homework, have a cut off time.
- Make the area comfortable by provide flexible seating. Maybe add a beanbag or soft pillow for downtime while in the learning space (ie reading, reviewing material).
- Provide incentives for completing daily/weekly tasks.